Ancestral Quest for Mac
Frequently Asked Questions
Install and Uninstall Ancestral Quest for Mac
- Q: How do I install AQ on my Mac?
- A: Here is a quick video and written instructions that show you the installation process for your Mac.
- Q: How do I uninstall AQ from my Mac?
- A: View the written instructions for removing Ancestral Quest from your Mac.
- Q: How do I save reports as a PDF file with AQ for Mac?
- A: There are three parts to this:
- First, you need to download and install PDFwriter for Mac. This procedure needs to be done only once on your Mac. View the steps to do this.
- Then you will generate the PDF using the PDFwriter printer. This you would do for each report you want to save as a PDF file. See these steps.
- Finally, you will need to locate the generated PDF report each time you generate a report as a PDF file. Read the steps on how to do this.
Program Compatibility Questions
- Q: When I install or run AQ for Mac on my MacOS High Sierra, I receive a message stating that AQ is not optimized for my Mac.
What is going on and what do I need to do to address this?
- A: When you click on 'Learn More' in that message, you are taken to this page of their site:
Among other things, this page states the following (emphasis added):
“Apple began the transition to 64-bit hardware and software technology for Mac over a decade ago, and is working with developers to transition their apps to 64-bit. At our Worldwide Developers Conference in 2017, Apple informed developers that macOS High Sierra would be the last version of macOS to run 32-bit apps without compromise.”
“Starting with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4, apps that have not been updated to use 64-bit processes produce a one-time alert when opened. This gives users advance notice that they are running 32-bit software, which will not be compatible with macOS in the future.”
“The 64-bit transition for macOS and macOS apps is still underway, so final transition dates have not yet been established. But now is a good time to check with the software developer to see if 64-bit versions of your favorite titles are available.”
“You may continue to use 32-bit apps with your Mac today. Using 32-bit software has no adverse effects on your data or your computer.”
Be advised that we are aware of the matter, and expect to make a 64-bit version of AQ for Mac available before it becomes a problem.